The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships 2023-2024 is a fully funded foreign student scholarship. This scholarship includes a monthly payment, tuition price waiver, health insurance, air travel, and a housing allowance.
Table of Contents
Continue your studies Switzerland. Excellent news! The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship is now available. This post will go into detail regarding this scholarship, its benefits, and the application process.
The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship 2023-2024 is a fully funded foreign student scholarship. This fellowship is available for master’s, doctoral, and postdoctoral studies. This scholarship includes a monthly payment, tuition price waiver, health insurance, air travel, and a housing allowance.
The Federal Commission of Scholarships (FCS) in partnership with the Swiss government sponsors the Swiss Scholarship. More than 180 countries are eligible for Swiss Government Scholarships. Participants of any nationality are welcome. This award is open to highly educated postgraduate researchers from various academic subjects as well as young medical doctors.
The Research Scholarship is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (minimum master’s degree) who plan to come to Switzerland to pursue doctoral or post-doctoral studies. Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences, and the two federal institutes of technology.
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships Summary
- Level of Study: Masters, PhD, Postdoctoral
- Institution(s): Swiss Government / Swiss Universities
- Study in: Switzerland
- Opportunity Focus Areas: See types below.
- Program Period: Depends on the chosen degree.
- Deadline: Country specific. You can check from here
Types of Swiss Government
- The research scholarship is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum) who are planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at doctoral or post-doctoral level.
Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences and the two federal institutes of technology, as well as the four research institutes. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor at one of these higher education institutions will be considered.
- Art scholarships are open to art students wishing to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland.
Art scholarships are awarded for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. This scholarship is available to students from a limited number of countries only.
You Can Apply: ADB Japan Scholarship Program 2023 | Apply Now
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships Coverage
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships 2021 will provide the recipient with the following benefits:
- The scholarship amounts to a monthly payment of CHF 1,920.
- For non-EU and non-EFTA grantees only: the FCS pays mandatory Swiss health insurance.
- There are no family allowances.
- Scholarship holders from non-EU and non-EFTA countries receive a flight allowance (lump sum) for a ticket back to their country of origin (provided at the end of the scholarship).
- Special CHF 300 housing allowance (paid once at the beginning of the scholarship).
- One-year half-fare public transportation card.
- Support services and various trips, dinners and sightseeing tours organized for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship holders.
- Please refer to the country-specific fact sheets for exact scholarship benefits.
Eligibility Criteria for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
To qualify for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships, candidate must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
- Required Language: English.
- Eligible Countries: All world countries.
- Master’s degree or equivalent university degree achieved before 31 July 2022 (degree certificate) recognized by the Swiss university. As a proof, the degree has to be submitted to the Federal Commission for Scholarships before the start of the scholarship.
- Applicants must be born after 31 December 1987.
- Applicants who have been in Switzerland since more than one year at the beginning of the scholarship in September are not eligible.
- Applicants must provide a letter from an academic host professor (including her/his short CV) at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he is willing to supervise and support the research. Without such support, the application will be rejected.
- Applicants must have a research proposal including a time frame. This is the centerpiece of the application. The applicant must devote all required attention to it.
- Applicants must be in command of the necessary language skills required for the research/studies.
- Applicants who have already benefited from a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship are not eligible to apply for a second scholarship.
- Scholarship holders are expected to move to Switzerland during their grant period.
Note: Please refer to the country-specific fact sheets for specific eligibility criteria.
How to Apply for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships?
Please follow the following application instructions to Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships:
(1) Prepare the following documents:
- Signed FCS application form (typed and printed) with
- A full CV with list of academic publications, awards,
- A motivation letter (max. 2 pages).
- A complete research proposal (max. 5 pages, signed), using exclusively the FCS research proposal
- A copy of the letter from an academic host professor (including her/his short CV) at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he is willing to supervise and support the research.
- A short CV of the academic mentor at the home institution.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from two different professors in the applicant’s field (use exclusively the FCS reference form – originals in sealed envelopes only for the 1st set). No copies for 2nd set.
- Photocopies of certificates and grade sheets from previously attended universities/colleges and diplomas with grades, starting with the most recent. If not in English, French, Italian or German with attested certified translations in English. Do not submit the original certificates.
- Signed medical certificate (use only the FCS health certificate form).
- Two copies of the applicant’s passport (main page with personal data). Dual nationals add copies of both passports. Applicants already in Switzerland during the application procedure add a copy of the residence permit for Switzerland.
(2) The application package can be obtained Swiss representation of your country.
(3) Please submit 2 sets (=1 original + 1 copy) of application documents in exact order given below: The 1st set contains the original, signed documents plus the confidential letters of recommendation and, if applicable the attested translations in English. The other set is the copy of the 1st set except for the confidential letters of recommendation (only 1st set). No copies for 2nd set.
Note: Please do not put the documents into plastic folders or binders.
To know more about Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships, please visit official website: